Tuesday, September 21, 2010

But It Still Rolls

My daughter came running up to me with childish excitement in her voice and proudly displayed an old toy truck missing a wheel. "Look Mommy! Look what I found!" I gave it a quick glance and replied, "That's nice that you found it, but too bad it's broken." She shook her head at me emphatically and put the truck on the floor and I watched the truck lurch around as she gave it a shove. "See, Mommy, but it still rolls."

It's funny how when you are overwhelmed by a particular issue that everything in life speaks to it. The truck incident became an instant reflection of my relationship with my husband. The relationship is broken. It may have a few wheels left on it, but it is not cruising the way it used to. It will always be a broken truck. Even if a salvage wheel were to be put on it, it would not drive the same as before. Who ever even takes the time to repair a broken old toy that no longer brings you joy? My daughter's delight in the fact that the truck still moved, albeit awkwardly, brings me hope. Perhaps we can find a way to make our marriage precious again.

No comments:

Post a Comment